September 29th - October 22nd 2017
3921 Martin Luther King Blvd. Dallas, Texas 75210
Booklet and Downloads:
Ag-Power at the State Fair of Texas
Come on down to the State Fair of Texas and visit the Ag-Power booth and have a seat in one of the John Deere tractors, gators and mowers on display. Ag-Power salespeople will be available to answer any questions you may have. Don't walk away empty handed with all the John Deere T-shirts, hats, toys and more for sale as well!
Thrifty Thursdays are back! Special food pricing is available every Thursday of the State Fair of Texas – October 6, 13, & 20, 2016. Featured items include State Fair classics like corny dogs, cotton candy, funnel cakes and participating food vendors also offer one of their signature menu items, ranging from mini versions to regular-size items. This is perfect for the foodie enthusiast, thrifty families or any fairgoer who loves State Fair of Texas food. Learn more ...
- From Sherman-Plano-Richardson: Take U.S. 75 (North Central Expressway) South toward Downtown Dallas. Take exit 284A to connect to Interstate 30 East (toward Texarkana), then take exit 48B and follow directions to Fair Park.
- From Austin-WacoTake Interstate 35E North to Downtown Dallas: Take exit 428B to connect to Interstate 30 East (toward Texarkana), then take exit 48B and follow directions to Fair Park.
- From Fort Worth-Abilene-Weatherford: Take Interstate 30 East to Dallas. Follow the signs for Interstate 30 East toward Texarkana. After you pass Downtown Dallas, take exit 48B and follow directions to Fair Park.
- From Denton-Lewisville-Gainesville: Take Interstate 35E South to Downtown Dallas and exit 427E. Immediately after taking the exit, move to one of the left two lanes which will put you on Interstate 30, Eastbound. Follow the signs for Interstate 30 East toward Texarkana. After you pass Downtown Dallas, take exit 48B and follow directions to Fair Park.
- From Houston-Huntsville-Corsicana: Take Interstate 45 North to exit 284A. Move to the right lane and follow the signs for Interstate 30 East. Take exit 48B and follow directions to Fair Park.
- From Texarkana-Greenville-Rockwall: Take Interstate 30 West toward Downtown Dallas. Take exit 49B and follow directions to Fair Park.
- The State Fair of Texas will run from Friday, September 29th to Sunday, October 22nd, 2017. A daily schedule of all performances and events will be published here on this website or can be found in the Visitor’s Guide distributed at each of the information booths located throughout the fairgrounds.
- Gates open daily at 10 a.m.
- 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. – Sundays through Thursdays
- 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. – Fridays and Saturdays
- Midway and museum hours vary daily.
- In the free-wheeling years after the war, merchants in Kerens, Texas, had a problem. Residents of the tiny town were driving to nearby Corsicana or even 75 miles north to Dallas for pre-Christmas shopping sprees. Looking for a gimmick that might encourage people to spend money at local stores, the Kerens Chamber of Commerce built what they claimed was the world's largest Santa Claus, a 49-foot-tall figure constructed from iron-pipe drill casing and paper mache with 7-foot lengths of unraveled rope for a beard.
- The promotion was a big success during the 1949 holidays, but the novelty wore off the following year, and community support waned. In 1951, State Fair president R. L. Thornton purchased Santa's components for $750 and hired Dallas artist Jack Bridges to create a giant cowboy out of the material.
- Big Tex made his debut at the 1952 State Fair of Texas. Wearing size 70 boots and a 75-gallon hat, Tex towered 52' above wide-eyed visitors. His denim jeans and plaid shirt were donated by the H. D. Lee Company of Shawnee Mission, Kansas. Cosmetic surgery the following year straightened his nose, corrected a lascivious wink and allowed him to talk.