CX15 ROTARY CUTTER
Flex-Wing Rotary Cutter
- More durable gearboxes
- Flex-wing CV driveline
- Safety tow chains for extra support
View Product Brochure
John Deere rotary cutters lead the way with innovative design, superior performance, and proven durability. Valuable features are included such as the Double-Decker™ design and Max Flow cutting chamber, which prevent water and debris from accumulating on the smooth, dome-shaped top deck while the flat bottom deck absorbs the punishment from rocks and stumps.
The top deck stays smooth - no dents, no dings, no holes. The internal supports sandwiched between the top and bottom decks are key to the smooth and structure-free Max Flow cutting chamber, while at the same time provide added strength and durability.
To help promote safe operation, John Deere rotary cutters are equipped with front and rear safety-chain shields. John Deere rotary cutters continue to advance in value with larger, more powerful gearboxes, redesigned blade holders, and updated constant-velocity (CV) drivelines (special to the flex-wing models).
Here are situations when a rotary cutter is needed:
- Clipping pastures encourages grass growth, optimizing on valuable pasture acreage.
- Cutting grass and stalks helps control insects.
- Routine cutting keeps weeds from reseeding.
- It is the most cost efficient way to cut roadsides, parks, cemeteries, airport fields, hydro, gas, and telephone easements, and all other types of open properties.
- Cutting grass waterways encourages root development and helps prevent erosion.
- Knocking down stalks is essential in no-till and minimum-till fields.
- Shredding stalks such as cotton, corn, and milo speeds up decomposition.
- Clearing out brush is easy.
- Use a rotary cutter to control undergrowth and grass in orchards, vineyards, and groves.
John Deere rotary cutters are available in three duty-level categories, three different spindle configurations, four hitch types, and three flex-wing sizes.
- MX models are available in 1.5-m (5-ft), 1.8-m (6-ft), 2.1-m (7-ft), 2.5-m (8-ft), 3.2-m (10-ft), and 4.6-m (15-ft) cut widths.
- This duty-level category cuts brush up to 50.8 mm (2 in.) in diameter.
- HX models are available in 3.2-m (10-ft), 4.2-m (14-ft), 4.6-m (15-ft), and 6.1-m (20-ft) cut widths.
- HX6 is available in 1.8-m (6-ft) and the HX7 is available in 2.1-m (7-ft) cut widths; they cut brush up to 101.6 mm (4 in.) in diameter.
- CX models are available in 3.2-m (10-ft), 4.6-m (15-ft), and 6.1-m (20 ft) cut widths; they cut brush 101.6 mm (4 in.) in diameter.
NOTE: CX models are heavier built to cut at a 101.6mm (4 in.) capacity level more frequently and for longer durations.
100 percent factory assembled
- Category 5, multi-profile driveline
- Protected front chain shields
- Category 5, star-profile wing drivelines
- Smooth, dome-shaped Double-Decker™ design
- Spring-loaded wing arms
- Air bag and shock-absorber suspension
- Continuous, greaseable forged-wing hinges
- Cast hitch, best turn radius
- Hydraulic parking system
- Ball-and-clevis hitch connection
The CX15 is equipped with three deck rings, which are welded to the underside of the deck, just inside the outer circumference of blade travel. The deck rings help to limit the upward deflection of blades when the blades encounter immovable objects, such as stumps and set-fast rocks.
The John Deere gearboxes:
- Large seals
- Large housing
- Large output shaft
- Precision forged bevel gears
- Large bearings
- Stump jumper
Re-engineered gearcases and blade holders provide the following:
- More horsepower
- Faster blade-tip speed
- Better performance
- Quieter operation
- Increased durability
Benefits of the CV driveline:
- Lock-slide collar, included on all John Deere’s drivelines, helps the attachment to the tractor using your hands on the driveline and not on the collar.
- Professional seals on the cross kits allow for a lubrication interval up to 50 hours.
- Grease zerks in the cap cross kits provide easy access for field lubrication.
- Large, dimpled floating disks reduce wear and improve the grease retention.
- Precision spherical ball-and-socket bearings distribute loading evenly and provide a long life and high performance.
A lightweight driveline with a lock-slide collar makes it fast and easy to attach.
Gearcases are provided with oil-level dipsticks.
Spring-loaded check-valve vents are provided to release any air pressure that might build up within the gearcase and to keep the rotary cutter deck free of oil that would otherwise spew out of permanently open vents.
All pivoting points that would benefit from greasing are provided with grease zerks. Wing hinges in particular are provided with individual grease zerks. It is important to note that these points require greasing infrequently; lubrication is for protection against seizing, not wear.
CX Series Flex-Wing Rotary Cutters feature ground-control suspension, which is unique in the industry.
This suspension includes a heavy-duty axle with six wheels (five-wheel and three-wheel assemblies for the CX15 3.1-m [10-ft] model) and air springs with shock absorbers on all four-wheel assemblies.
Shock absorbers provide a smooth ride for road travel and for hard and rough pastures, roadsides, etc. The shock-cushioning ability of the CX suspension is in a class by itself and contributes greatly to long, trouble-free operation of the machine.
Center-section air springs typically carry 90 psi of air pressure. Wing-section air springs typically carry 60 psi of air pressure.
All of the CX models are also available with springs and shock absorbers.
Center sections and wing sections are connected via 2.5-cm (1-in.) diameter continuous hinge pins. Hinge bushings are constructed of 15.2-cm (6-in.) long forged-steel segments and are greaseable to prevent hinge pins from seizing:
- The HX15 uses eight hinge bushing segments per side.
- The CX15 uses 12 hinge bushing segments per side, for a continuous hinge (front to back), providing superior resistance to the wear and tear caused by commercial usage.
Hitches have a narrow profile and are 57.2 cm (22.5 in.) wide to allow a very tight turning radius, even when the tractor is equipped with dual wheels.
A transport lock flips over the lift cylinder for backup to the hydraulics when transporting or servicing the cutter.
A wing lock is provided for additional safety during transporting or servicing. Additionally, the wing locks are spring-loaded so they can unfold against gravity on slopes up to five degrees.
The HX15, CX15, HX20, and CX20 come standard with an industry-exclusive hydraulically-operated height leveling system with a swing-away parking stand that makes raising and lowering the cutter easy and safe. In addition, a manual-implement jack is in base equipment, so hitch leveling can also be adjusted without hydraulics. With this addition, the cutter will remain in the same position for long periods of time.
The CX15 is available as a 3.1-m (10-ft) Flex-Wing Rotary Cutter with a 15.2-cm (6-in.) blade overlap by removing the left wing and adding a weight box.
- The weight box hinges to the center deck and bolts to the anchor bracket in place of the left wing.
- Weight box is shipped factory-filled with concrete.
John Deere is so confident in the reliability of the gearbox, the warranty has been extended. John Deere rotary cutters come with a 5-year limited gearbox warranty.
Compare the specifications of up to 4 models
|Cutting width||3,189 mm|
|Cutting height||For clearance over terraces 25 to 406 mm|
1 to 16 in.
|Cutting capacity (diameter)||101.6 mm|
|Cutting chamber depth||267 mm|
|Tractor PTO HP range||41 kW|
|Tractor PTO||540 rpm|
|Static Vert Drawbar Load Rating||960 kg|
|Type||Pull-Type with ball-type self-leveling hitch clevis for easy hookup (Pull-Type has standard 10,000 lb, 4,536 kg, Safety Tow Chain)|
|Hitch width||For tight turn capability 570 mm|
|Jackstand||Hydraulically operated; stays vertical while raising/lowering (optional manual jackstand kit available)|
|Transport width||At wing wheels 2,463 mm|
|Overall width||3,499 mm|
|Overall length||4,932 mm|
|Deck shape||Easy clean dome-shaped top deck|
|Deck type||Double decker for superior strength|
3.5 (10) mm
.138 (10) in.
4.5 (7) mm
.177 (7) in.
|Shirt thickness||6 mm|
|Hinges||Intermittent cast steel segments - greaseable; single 1-in. (2.5-cm) diameter full-length hinge pin|
|Approx. weight||2,230 kg|
CV ASAE Category 5, splined telescoping profiles
ASAE Category 5, splined telescoping profiles
No-seize, slip-clutch driveline
No-seize, slip-clutch driveline
186 continuous / 224 peak kW
250 continuous / 300 peak hp
112 continuous / 161 peak kW
150 continuous / 216 peak hp
112 continuous / 161 peak kW
150 continuous / 216 peak hp
|Type||Suction or offset|
|Blade rotation||CW, CCW, CCW|
|Blade tip speed||540 RPM|
Wing 4,751 (285 km/h) m/min
15,586 (177 mph) fpm
Center 4,794 (288 km/h) m/min
15,728 (179mph) fpm
|Material flow system||Smooth, obstruction-free Max Flow cutting chamber for a clean cut and no windrows|
Round stump jumper and standard deck rings for maximum protection of blades and blade carrier against obstruction damage
|Wing lift||Standard; includes spring assist unfolding|
|Wing flex||90 up, 22 down degree (angle)|
5-bolt 26x9x14.5 24-Ply Severe-Duty Ag
|Suspension||Air cushion with shock absorbers on all 4 wheels standard|
|Row width adjustment||Yes|
|Wing-leveling adjustment||Easy adjust turnbuckle with bearing|
|Blade tip speed - 540 rpm - 1000 rpm|
|Cutting capacity (diameter)|
|Deck thickness - upper - lower|
|Drivelines - Size - Main|
|Tractor PTO HP range|