HX10 ROTARY CUTTER
HX10 Rotary Cutter
- Larger, more durable gearboxes
- Large-diameter, round-pan blade holders
- Tractor hookup available
- Max Flow cutting chamber for a clean cut
View Product Brochure
NOTE: Only for single spindle and multi-spindle.
John Deere rotary cutters lead the way with innovative design, superior performance, and proven durability. Valuable features such as the Double-Decker™ design and Max Flow cutting chamber prevent water and debris from accumulating on the smooth, dome-shaped top deck while the flat bottom deck absorbs the punishment from rocks and stumps.
The top deck stays smooth - no dents, no dings, no holes. The internal supports sandwiched between the top and bottom decks are key to the smooth and structure-free Max Flow cutting chamber, while at the same time provide added strength and durability.
To help promote safe operation, John Deere rotary cutters are equipped with front and rear safety-chain shields. John Deere rotary cutters continue to advance in value with powerful gearboxes, blade holders, and compatibility with a wide range of tractors.
Here are situations when a rotary cutter provides value:
- Clipping pastures encourages grass growth, optimizing valuable pasture acreage.
- Cutting grass and stalks helps control insects.
- Routine cutting keeps weeds from reseeding.
- It is the most cost efficient way to cut roadsides, parks, cemeteries, airport fields, hydro, gas, and telephone easements, and all other types of open properties.
- Cutting grass waterways encourages root development and helps prevent erosion.
- Knocking down stalks such as cotton, corn, or milo speeds up decomposition. This is essential in no-till and minimum-till fields.
- Clearing out brush.
- Control undergrowth and grass in orchards, vineyards, and groves.
Decide what model to use based on:
- The size of the area to mow versus the size of the machine – the bigger the area to mow, the bigger the mower needs to be in order to be efficient during mowing hours. Similarly, the limitation of a small area will guide operators to use a smaller mower.
- The amount of time and frequency it will be used – for longer hours and more frequency, choose a heavier duty machine.
- Tractor compatibility – if there is a tractor the operator will be using, look for the tractor compatibility sheet to identify appropriate options.
John Deere rotary cutters are available in two duty-level categories:
- MX models are available in 1.5-m (5-ft), 1.8-m (6-ft), 2.1-m (7-ft), 2.5-m (8-ft), and 3.2-m (10-ft).
- This duty-level category cuts brush up to 50.8 mm (2 in.) in diameter.
- HX models are available in 3.2-m (10-ft) and 4.2-m (14-ft).
- This duty-level category cuts brush up to 76.2 mm (3 in.) in diameter.
- HX6 is available in 1.8-m (6-ft) and the HX7 is available in 2.1-m (7-ft) cut widths; they cut brush up to 101.6 mm (4 in.) in diameter.
NOTE: HX models are heavier built to cut at a 101.6 mm (4 in.) capacity level more frequently and for longer durations.
The patented Double-Decker design improves strength and cutting performance while reducing top deck rust. Two welded decks include a 3-mm (11-gauge, 0.118-in.) to 3.5-mm (10-gauge, 0.138-in.) thick upper deck, depending on the model, and a 3-mm (11-gauge, 0.118-in.) to 4.5-mm (7-gauge, 0.177-in.) thick lower deck, depending on the model.
Internal stiffeners are sandwiched between the decks to add extra strength and rigidity.
The Double-Decker design also provides a sturdy base to support the gearcases. Gearcases need this sturdy base to resist the bending loads imposed upon them when blades contact immovable objects or the ground.
The bottom deck is the main defense against rocks and field debris, to help protect the top deck from impacts so it will retain its smooth form.
The John Deere gearboxes:
- Large seals
- Large housing
- Large output shaft
- Precision forged bevel gears
- Large bearings
- Stump jumper
Re-engineered gearcases and blade holders provide the following:
- More horsepower
- Faster blade-tip speed
- Better performance
- Quieter operation
- Increased durability
Gearcases are John Deere engineered for reliability and dependability.
- Transfer (center gearcase) – 120 continuous hp or 180 peak hp
- Outer gearcases – 100 continuous hp or 140 peak hp
Heavy-duty, tapered roller bearings and precision gears help ensure long life.
Output shafts are splined, not just keyed, for extra strength and durability.
Gearcases mount on heavy-duty bowl supports, which are continuously welded to the top and bottom decks. These bowls provide a lifelong base of support for the gearcase/blade holder mechanism.
The HX10 model comes standard with five year warranty.
Suction blades provide additional lift action for picking up downed material. The blades are 1.3 cm x 10.2 cm (0.5 in. x 4 in.) in size and heat-treated for long wear life.
A fast blade-tip speed (up to 16889 fpm) ensures clean cutting and fine shredding of material.
Flat blades are effective for any materials not downed and require suction for lifting.
Flat blades require less horsepower and have a cutting edge on both sides. Only available with double-blade system.
Dual blades (bar-type bladeholder only)
Dual blades are effective for increased shredding of crop residue.
The dual blades consist of a 1.3-cm x 10.2-cm (1/2-in. x 4-in.) lower suction blade and a 1.3-cm x 7.6-cm (1/2-in. x 3-in.) upper suction blade.
The lift-type versions fit tractors with Category 2, 3, or 3N 3-point hitches (with or without Quick Hitch).
NOTE: The lift-type versions require a larger tractor than other versions. For HX10 Lift-Type Rotary Cutters, the minimum-size tractor recommended is a 6020 Series or equivalent. For HX14 Lift-Type Rotary Cutters, the minimum-size tractor recommended is a 7720 or equivalent. Refer to the tractor's operator's manual for ballasting instructions. The pull-type versions of the HX10 Multi-Spindle Rotary Cutter require a tractor with a minimum of 50 power take-off (PTO) hp. The HX14 pull-type versions require a tractor with a minimum of 60 PTO hp. Note that the type and volume of material being cut affect horsepower requirements.
Parallel lift linkage helps keep the cutter level through all height adjustments. Cylinders are John Deere manufactured, meaning more reliability and durability.
Five-year limited gearbox warranty provided on every John Deere rotary cutter
John Deere is so confident in the reliability of the gearbox that rotary cutters come with a 5-year limited gearbox warranty.
There is also 1-year warranty on the complete machine, as well as drivelines and other components.
Compare the specifications of up to 4 models
|Cutting width||3,200 mm|
|Cutting height||25 to 305 mm|
1 to 12 in.
|Cutting capacity||76.2 mm|
|Cutting chamber Depth||267 mm|
|Tractor PTO HP range||Minimum pull-type 37 kW|
Minimum PTO lift-type 60 kW
|Tractor PTO||540 rpm|
|Type||Lift-Type, Pull-Type (Pull-Type has standard 10,000 lb; 4,539 kg, Safety Tow Chain)|
|Category||2, 3, 3N|
|Transport width||3,350 mm|
|Overall width||3,350 mm|
|Overall length||4,040 mm|
|Deck type||Double decker|
3.5 (10) mm
0.141 (10) in.
3.5 (10) mm
0.141 (10) in.
|Side skirt thickness||6 (3) mm|
0.25 (3) in.
|Approx. weight||1,057 kg|
ASAE Category 5; lift-type
ASAE Category 4; pull-type
Non-seize, slip-clutch driveline pull-type has equal-angle Category 4 driveline
Shock absorbing shafts
Continuous 89 kW
Peak 134 kW
Continuous 75 kW
Peak 104 kW
|Blade tip speed||540 RPM|
|Material flow system||Max flow|
Round stump jumper
|Type||Laminated (Pull-type has severe-duty Ag tire option)|
|Row width adjustment||Yes|
|Blade tip speed - 540 rpm|
|Deck thickness - Upper - Lower|
|Drivelines - Size - Main|
|Hitch - Category|
|Protection - Main|
|Shielding - front/rear|
|Side skirt thickness|
|Tractor PTO HP range|