HX15 ROTARY CUTTER
Flex-Wing Rotary Cutter
- More durable gearboxes
- Flex-wing CV driveline
- Heavy-duty axle with spring suspension
- Safety tow chains for extra support
View Product Brochure
John Deere rotary cutters lead the way with innovative design, superior performance, and proven durability. Valuable features are included such as the Double-Decker™ design and Max Flow cutting chamber, which prevent water and debris from accumulating on the smooth, dome-shaped top deck while the flat bottom deck absorbs the punishment from rocks and stumps.
The top deck stays smooth - no dents, no dings, no holes. The internal supports sandwiched between the top and bottom decks are key to the smooth and structure-free Max Flow cutting chamber, while at the same time provide added strength and durability.
To help promote safe operation, John Deere rotary cutters are equipped with front and rear safety-chain shields. John Deere rotary cutters continue to advance in value with larger, more powerful gearboxes, redesigned blade holders, and updated constant-velocity (CV) drivelines (special to the flex-wing models).
Here are situations when a rotary cutter is needed:
- Clipping pastures encourages grass growth, optimizing on valuable pasture acreage.
- Cutting grass and stalks helps control insects.
- Routine cutting keeps weeds from reseeding.
- It is the most cost efficient way to cut roadsides, parks, cemeteries, airport fields, hydro, gas, and telephone easements, and all other types of open properties.
- Cutting grass waterways encourages root development and helps prevent erosion.
- Knocking down stalks is essential in no-till and minimum-till fields.
- Shredding stalks such as cotton, corn, and milo speeds up decomposition.
- Clearing out brush is easy.
- Use a rotary cutter to control undergrowth and grass in orchards, vineyards, and groves.
John Deere rotary cutters are available in three duty-level categories, three different spindle configurations, four hitch types, and three flex-wing sizes.
- MX models are available in 1.5-m (5-ft), 1.8-m (6-ft), 2.1-m (7-ft), 2.5-m (8-ft), 3.2-m (10-ft), and 4.6-m (15-ft) cut widths.
- This duty-level category cuts brush up to 50.8 mm (2 in.) in diameter.
- HX models are available in 3.2-m (10-ft), 4.2-m (14-ft), 4.6-m (15-ft), and 6.1-m (20-ft) cut widths.
- HX6 is available in 1.8-m (6-ft) and the HX7 is available in 2.1-m (7-ft) cut widths; they cut brush up to 101.6 mm (4 in.) in diameter.
- CX models are available in 3.2-m (10-ft), 4.6-m (15-ft), and 6.1-m (20 ft) cut widths; they cut brush 101.6 mm (4 in.) in diameter.
NOTE: CX models are heavier built to cut at a 101.6mm (4 in.) capacity level more frequently and for longer durations.
The John Deere gearboxes:
- Large seals
- Large housing
- Large output shaft
- Precision forged bevel gears
- Large bearings
- Stump jumper
Re-engineered gearcases and blade holders provide the following:
- More horsepower
- Faster blade-tip speed
- Better performance
- Quieter operation
- Increased durability
Benefits of the CV driveline:
- Lock-slide collar, included on all John Deere’s drivelines, helps the attachment to the tractor using your hands on the driveline and not on the collar.
- Professional seals on the cross kits allow for a lubrication interval up to 50 hours.
- Grease zerks in the cap cross kits provide easy access for field lubrication.
- Large, dimpled floating disks reduce wear and improve the grease retention.
- Precision spherical ball-and-socket bearings distribute loading evenly and provide a long life and high performance.
A lightweight driveline with a lock-slide collar makes it fast and easy to attach.
The HX15 and CX15 Flex-Wing Rotary Cutters utilize a four-gearcase design (with the exception of the 3.1-m [10-ft] CX15 weight-box model). This is far superior to a three-gearcase design because the wing drivelines are able to operate at a range of angles, from 22 degrees down and up to 45 degrees. The wings fold up to 90 degrees for transport-lock purposes.
Additionally, the transfer of power from the tractor is dedicated to the transfer gearcase while the cutting is handled by three separate and properly-sized individual gearcases. This results in superior drivetrain reliability and durability.
- HX15 uses a 250 continuous hp and 300 peak hp splitter gearcase, and 150 continuous hp and 205 peak hp center and outer gearcases.
- CX15 uses a 250 continuous hp and 300 peak hp splitter gearcase, and 150 continuous hp and 216 peak hp center and outer gearcases.
Large, tapered roller bearings and forged gears enable a long and trouble-free operating life. Horizontal shafts in all gearcases are 4.5 cm (1.75 in.) in diameter to resist torque spikes. Output shafts have a tapered spline for a tight connection with bladeholders.
Gearcases are backed up by a five-year warranty.
The HX Series Cutters feature a heavy-duty axle with six wheels and spring suspension on the four-wheel standards. Optional dual-wing wheels are available. A lower-priced four-wheel rigid axle version is also available.
Hitches have a narrow profile and are 57.2 cm (22.5 in.) wide to allow a very tight turning radius, even when the tractor is equipped with dual wheels.
A transport lock flips over the lift cylinder for backup to the hydraulics when transporting or servicing the cutter.
A wing lock is provided for additional safety during transporting or servicing. Additionally, the wing locks are spring-loaded so they can unfold against gravity on slopes up to five degrees.
Gearcases are provided with oil-level dipsticks.
Spring-loaded check-valve vents are provided to release any air pressure that might build up within the gearcase and to keep the rotary cutter deck free of oil that would otherwise spew out of permanently open vents.
All pivoting points that would benefit from greasing are provided with grease zerks. Wing hinges in particular are provided with individual grease zerks. It is important to note that these points require greasing infrequently; lubrication is for protection against seizing, not wear.
The HX15, CX15, HX20, and CX20 come standard with an industry-exclusive hydraulically-operated height leveling system with a swing-away parking stand that makes raising and lowering the cutter easy and safe. In addition, a manual-implement jack is in base equipment, so hitch leveling can also be adjusted without hydraulics. With this addition, the cutter will remain in the same position for long periods of time.
John Deere is so confident in the reliability of the gearbox, the warranty has been extended. John Deere rotary cutters come with a 5-year limited gearbox warranty.
Compare the specifications of up to 4 models
|Cutting width||4,572 mm|
|Cutting height||For clearance over terraces 25 to 406 mm|
1 to 16 in.
|Cutting capacity (diameter)||76.2 mm|
|Cutting chamber depth||267 mm|
|Tractor PTO HP range||41 kW|
|Tractor PTO||540 or 1,000 rpm|
|Static Vert Drawbar Load Rating||890 kg|
|Type||Pull-type, with standard self-leveling hitch clevis (Pull-Type has standard 10,000 lb, 4,536 kg, Safety Tow Chain)|
|Hitch width||For tight turn capability 572 mm|
|Jackstand||Hydraulically operated; stays vertical while raising/lowering (optional manual jackstand kit available)|
|Transport width||At wing wheels 2,800 mm|
|Overall width||4,726 mm|
|Overall length||4,932 mm|
|Deck shape||Easy-clean, dome-shaped top deck|
|Deck type||Double-decker design; superior strength|
3 (11) mm
.118 (11) in.
3.5 (10) mm
.138 (10) in.
|Shirt thickness||6 mm|
|Hinges||Intermittent cast steel segments - greaseable; single 1-in. (2.5-cm) diameter full-length hinge pin|
|Approx. weight||2,386 kg|
CV ASAE Category 5 tubular telescoping star profiles
ASAE Category 4 tubular telescoping star profiles
No-seize, slip-clutch driveline
No-seize, slip-clutch driveline
186 continuous / 224 peak kW
250 continuous / 300 peak hp
112 continuous / 153 peak kW
150 continuous / 205 peak hp
112 continuous / 153 peak kW
150 continuous / 205 peak hp
|Thickness||Single suction 13 mm|
Dual suction-upper 13 mm
Dual suction-lower 13 mm
|Width||Single suction 102 mm|
Dual suction-upper 76.2 mm
Dual suction lower 102 mm
|Type||Single suction, dual suction|
|Blade rotation||CW, CCW, CCW|
|Blade tip speed||540 RPM|
Wing 4,751 (285 km/h) m/min
15,586 (177 mph) fpm
Center 4,794 (288 km/h) m/min
15,728 (179 mph) fpm
Wing 4,827 (290 km/hr) m/min
15,837 (180 mph) fpm
Center 4,650 (278 km/h) m/min
15,256 (173 mph) fpm
|Material flow system||Smooth, obstruction-free Max Flow cutting chamber for a clean cut and no windrows|
Bar-type (Dual suction) or round stump jumper (Single suction) for protection of blades and carrier against obstruction damage
|Wing lift||Standard, includes spring-assist unfolding|
|Wing flex||90 up, 22 down degree (angle)|
4-bolt 21x5.25x9.0 Laminated Tires
4-bolt 21x7x12 16 PR Severe-Duty Ag Tires
|Suspension||Spring suspension (4x8-in.; 10x20-cm coil spring) on all 4 wheels standard|
|Row width adjustment||Yes|
|Wing-leveling adjustment||Easy-adjust turnbuckle with bearing|
|Blade tip speed - 540 rpm - 1000 rpm|
|Cutting capacity (diameter)|
|Deck thickness - upper - lower|
|Drivelines - Size - Main|
|Tractor PTO HP range|